QUICK GUIDE TO CONTENTS
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- YOUR CHOICES AND OPTING OUT
- YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
- THIRD PARTY CONTENT, LINKS, AND PLUG-INS
- CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- DATA SECURITY
- CONTACT INFORMATION
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECTBack to top
There are several ways that we may collect information about you, including through (A) information you provide to us directly; (B) information that we automatically collect; and (C) information we receive from third parties. This includes data that identifies you personally whether directly (i.e., your name) or indirectly (i.e., information about your online use).
A. Information You Provide To Us
We may collect information directly from you when you provide it to us on the Services. This may include when you use our Services, register or create an online account with us, purchase products or services, request information from us, sign up for newsletters or our email list, enter into sweepstakes or other promotion, fill out a survey, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with or contact us. The information we collect may include your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, referrals, and information about your solar activities, such as home ownership, home statistics, home energy usage or utility provider, or demographic information.
You also may provide us with certain information in connection with specific transactions on the Services:
- Information You Provide When You Make a Purchase. If you make a purchase from us, we collect the necessary payment details to process your payment, depending on the form of payment you choose.
- Information You Provide Through Third-Party Websites or Services. If you connect or link to us through a third-party website or service, such as a social media account, we may automatically receive certain information about you based on your registration and privacy settings on those third-party websites or services. This may include, but may not be limited to, your name, user name, demographic information, updated address or contact information, location, interests, and publicly-observed data, such as online activity.
B. Information Automatically Collected
Whenever you visit or interact with the Services, we may use a variety of technologies such as cookies, clear GIFs, pixel tags, log files, and other technologies or third-party services (such as LeadID) to automatically or passively collect certain information about users of the Services and interactions with our emails and online advertisements.
We may also automatically collect the following information about you:
- Computer or Device Information: We may automatically collect your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address or other unique identifier or information from the computer, mobile device, tablet or other device you use to access the Services, including but not limited to your browser type, device type, system type, and the domain name from which you accessed the Services.
- Usage Information: We may collect information about your use of the Services, including the date and time you visit the Services, the content, areas, or pages of the Services that you visit, the website or app from which you navigated to the Services, the page or app you visit after leaving the Services, the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Services, the number of times you return to the Services, as well as other click-stream or usage data, and whether you open, forward or click-through an email to the Services. For legal compliance purposes, we may also capture or record your interactions with www.sunrun.com to confirm that your information was submitted to us through www.sunrun.com.
- Via Our Third Party Service Providers. We may use third party service providers to support our Site or Apps. Some of these service providers may use technology such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, Flash cookies, or HTML5 cookies to receive, collect, and store information.
To learn more about our interest-based advertising and your advertising choices relating to the collection and use of your information, please see the “How We Use Your Information” and “Your Choices and Opting Out” sections below.
C. Information Collected from Other Sources
We may acquire information from other sources as follows:
- From Our Partners and Service Providers: We may use third-party service providers to support our Services and perform other business processes on our behalf, including, without limitation, to perform credit checks and process credit card payments, and we may obtain information from these third parties.
- From Other Third Parties: We may obtain information about you from other third-party sources, including commercially available sources, such as data aggregators and public databases. This information may include your name, demographic information, utility usage information, interests, and publicly-observed data, such as online activity.
We may use this information to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect, personalize your experience with the Services, target our communications so that we can inform you of products, services or other offers that may be of interest to you, to measure ad quality and responses, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes.
D. Combination of Information
We may combine the information that we receive from and about you, including information you provide to us and information we automatically collect through the Services, as well as information collected from other online or offline sources, including from third-party sources and from your installed solar system.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATIONBack to top
A. Information Use By or For Sunrun
We may use the information we collect from and about you for any of the following purposes:
- To present our Services and their contents to you.
- To analyze, improve, operate, and maintain the Services, our programs, services, and other systems, and to develop new products and services.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us, and to contact and communicate with you when necessary.
- To assess the suitability of your home for a solar system.
- To allow you to take certain actions related to your account, including, but not limited to, tracking the progress of your solar system installation, making and managing payments, viewing billing history, calculating your post-solar savings, reviewing and monitoring your solar production, managing your account and contact information, and viewing and downloading your solar system agreement.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Services or any products or services we offer or provide though them.
- To provide you and other users with customized content, targeted offers, and advertising on the Services, or across other websites, mobile applications, social media or online services, or via direct mail, email, and/or telemarketing regarding offers, contests, events, news, programs, and other retail opportunities from us and/or selected third parties that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To determine the effectiveness of our marketing programs.
- To use your data in an aggregated non-specific format for analytical and demographic purposes.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information to us.
Additionally, if you use the Services to connect with third-party services that you authorize us to use information from and about you, on your behalf, to interact with these third-party services based on your requests.
B. How We Use Your Information for Interest-Based Advertising
We also may display interest-based ads through Facebook, Twitter, or other social media platforms or websites. This is done through the Facebook Custom Audiences, Twitter Tailor Audiences, or other similar business tools. These tools allow us to personalize our ads based on your shopping experience with us, without having to share your personal information with these social media platforms. We do this only by sharing hashed information (which converts your email or phone number to a unique string of numbers and letters) that the social media platform then matches data against its own data for the limited purpose of serving advertisements (either directly to you or to other lookalike audiences). The matched and unmatched hashes are then deleted, and are not used for any other purpose.
For information on your choices with respect to interest-based ads, see the “Interest Based Advertising Choices” section below.
3. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATIONBack to top
We may disclose information that we collect from and about you as described below.
A. Sharing of Information by You
The Services offer many ways to find, enjoy, and share content. Your activity in connection with the Services may include filling out surveys, reviewing and rating products or services, inquiring about or purchasing products or services, participation in online communities, “liking” or “sharing” our content to your social media accounts or pages or otherwise interacting with the Services. Any information you may disclose through the Services, in blogs, on message boards, in chat rooms, or on other public areas through the Services or other third-party websites, applications, or services that these Services may link to, becomes public information. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
B. Sharing of Information by Us
We may share your personal information as follows:
- Affiliates: We may share your information with our affiliates and subsidiaries for business, operational, promotional and marketing purposes.
- Service Providers: We may share your information with third-party contractors, service providers, and other third parties that we use to support our business and who are required to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- Sale or Transfer of Business or Assets: We may sell or purchase assets during the normal course of our business. If another entity acquires us or any of our assets, information we have collected about you may be transferred to such entity. In addition, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, such information may be considered an asset of ours and may be among the assets transferred.
- Marketing Partners and Other Third Parties: We may share your information with our marketing partners or other third parties not affiliated with us. These third parties may (i) transfer your information to their service providers to fulfill the requests you make via the Services, (ii) receive additional information about you from service providers and other third parties, and (iii) use the information collected from and about you (including the information received from us) to contact you via direct mail, email, and/or telemarketing with selected offers they believe may be of interest to you.
- Compliance with Laws: We may access and disclose your information to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including responding to any subpoenas, judicial processes, or government or regulatory requests and investigations.
- Enforcing Our Rights: We may disclose your information to enforce or apply our terms of service (see www.sunrun.com/terms-of-service) and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes, or to protect the security of our Services, servers, network systems, and databases.
- Safety: We may access and disclose your information if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect our rights, property, or safety, or the rights, property, or safety of our customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Aggregate or Anonymous Non-Personal Information: We may share aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified non-personal information with third parties for their marketing or analytics uses.
- Other: We may share your information as described to you at the point of collection.
4. YOUR CHOICES & OPTING OUTBack to top
A. Cookies, Tracking Options and California Do Not Track Disclosures
Certain parts of our Services require cookies. You may adjust your device or Internet browser settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so, you may not be able to use certain features on the Services or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your device’s settings or your Internet browser’s “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable cookies or to control your tracking preferences.
B. Interest-Based Advertising Choices
To understand your choices for receiving more relevant advertising provided on the Service or across other websites and online services, please review the information below:
- To learn more about such interest-based advertising, and to opt out of such collection and use for interest-based advertising by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) participating companies, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
- To opt out from the use of information about your online activities for interest-based advertising by Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) member companies, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.
- To opt out of the use of your mobile device ID for targeted advertising, please see http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
- If you wish to prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, Google has developed the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
- On your mobile device, you may also adjust your privacy and advertising settings to control whether you want to receive more relevant advertising. Even if you opt out, you still may receive advertising from us that is not customized based on your Service or usage information, or advertising from other third parties if they are not a DAA or NAI participating company.
C. Unsubscribing from Our Marketing Communications
We provide our customers, as well as individuals referred by our customers, with the opportunity to opt out of having their information used for purposes not directly related to placement, processing, fulfillment, or delivery of a product or service.
To opt out of marketing communications or to request to be added to our Do Not Call List or Do Not Mail List, you may use one of these convenient methods:
- Email Offers: If you receive commercial email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the email, or by sending us an email or writing to us at the addresses listed below. You should note that unsubscribing from our emails will not automatically unsubscribe you from emails sent by any third party, and you will need to separately unsubscribe from such third party’s communication, if desired.
- Direct Mail Offers: If you do not wish to be notified by postal mail regarding products, services, events, programs, and offers that we believe you may find of interest, send us an email or write to us at the addresses listed below.
- Telemarketing: If you do not want to receive marketing phone calls from us, you may: (i) email us at [email protected] with “Do Not Call” in the subject line; (ii) call customer care at 800-680-8554; (iii) ask to be placed on our Do Not Call list when you receive a call from us; or (iv) mail us at the address listed below. Once we place your name on our internal “Do Not Call” list, we will no longer call you for marketing purposes (unless you submit another inquiry or request another consultation/quote from us after your initial do-not-call request). We will honor your request as soon as reasonably practicable. You may still receive calls from third parties who are not calling on our behalf regarding their products and services, and you will need to separately request that those parties not call you.
If you receive marketing communications from one or more of our affiliates or subsidiaries, you must opt out individually from each of the brands from which you are receiving brand-specific marketing communications.
D. With Respect to Other Third-Party Communications
Any third parties to whom we may disclose your information may have their own privacy policies which describe how they use and disclose your information, and your choices. If you want to learn more about their privacy practices, we encourage you to visit the websites of those third parties.
E. Accessing or Updating Your Information
If you become a Sunrun customer, you can create an account with us. You can contact your sales representative or Sunrun Customer Care representative to request a correction to or deletion of certain information you provided in connection with your account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
5. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTSBack to top
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Services who are California residents to annually request certain information regarding our disclosure of their personal information to third parties, including affiliated third parties who may not share the Sunrun name, for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, write us at: Sunrun Inc., Attn – Marketing, 595 Market Street, 29th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105.
6. THIRD-PARTY CONTENT, LINKS, AND PLUG-INSBack to top
The Services may contain links to third parties who partner with us. If you use those links, these third parties may collect information about you. We do not control third-party links or how these third parties collect and use your personal information. If you have any questions about their privacy practices, you should view their privacy policies and/or contact those third parties directly.
7. CHILDREN’S PRIVACYBack to top
Protecting children’s privacy is important to us. We do not direct the Services to, nor do we knowingly collect any personal information from, children under the age of thirteen. If we learn that a child under the age of thirteen has provided personally identifiable information to the Services, we will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from our files.
8. DATA SECURITYBack to top
We have implemented measures designed to secure your information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee our security measures.
10. CONTACT INFORMATIONBack to top
- By Mail: Sunrun, Inc., Attn – Marketing (Privacy), 255 Bush Street, 14th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105
- Via email to: [email protected]
- Via our toll-free number: 855-478-6786
Last Updated: September 27, 2019
Nevada Residents: If you wish to submit on opt out request, please email [email protected]
Data from certain Sunrun customers may be subject to the Cayman Islands Data Protection Law, 2017 (the “DPL”). Click here for additional details on our use of data subject to the DPL.