Prepare for the Unpredictable with Solar and a Home Battery in Houston, Texas
Sunrun Can Help You Get Protection during Outages and Lock in Predictable Energy Rates
Texans affected by blackouts from 2008 to 2017.1
Texas’s residential electricity bills vs. the national average.2
Average number of sunny days per year in Houston, TX.3
Houston, Texas is home to the headquarters of more than 500 gas and oil exploration and production companies, as well as hundreds of oil-related companies. The city is one of the largest oil producers around the globe, which has earned it the nickname, “The Energy Capital of the World.”4 Still, after the deep freeze that Winter Storm Uri brought to Texas, along with Houston's coldest night in 32 years, The Energy Capital of the World’s power grid left millions of residents in the dark and cold—many for days.5
Snowstorm Uri ravaged the area and caused electricity prices to spike more than 10,000%.6 Fortunately, now you have the choice to protect and power your home in a cleaner, more affordable, and reliable way with Sunrun’s solar and battery storage solutions.
How to Go Solar in Houston
Texas is one of the best states to go solar in the U.S.7 What's more, the costs of rooftop panels and battery storages have plummeted.7,8 It could be cost-effective if you decide to make the switch with a Houston solar installer like Sunrun.
Sunrun is the leading residential solar and storage company in the country.9 We’re here to help you understand how solar may power your home during outages, how much it might save you, how your Houston solar installation can reduce your impact on the environment, and even what the panels would look like on your roof.
Find out in minutes which Sunrun solar plan, with or without energy storage in Houston, is the ideal match for your budget and unique energy needs with our easy-to-use Product Selector. There are also several solar incentives in Texas that could help you go solar for less.
Solar made better
- Learn about Texas' solar incentives
- Find your ideal system and battery
- Get your cost to switch to solar
Get More from Your Solar Energy Production in Texas
- Qualify and make the switch to solar with Sunrun in Texas.
- Sign up for TXU Energy’s Renewable Buyback Plan. (Must live in a service area)
- Earn credits on your bill for the excess energy you produce and send to the grid.
- Use your earned credits to save money on future electric bills. In other states, this type of arrangement is known as net metering (NEM).
Pick the Plan That Works Best for You
Each Sunrun solar plan offers unique advantages. Whether you decide to get a solar lease or a purchase plan, with or without a backup power system, we’re here to ensure that you can go solar as simply and affordably as possible. Sunrun is one of the best solar installers in Houston, and we want you to benefit from your Houston solar array for decades. We’ll even take care of the paperwork for you whenever we can.
Lease new Sunrun solar panels in Houston with as little as $0 down. Lock in predictable monthly rates and stay covered with our industry-leading Sunrun Guarantee.
Full Amount Lease
Prepay for up to 25 years of solar energy in Houston for home use at the best price. Our Sunrun Guarantee also backs it.
Own a Houston home solar system, and you could build home value. You may qualify for Texas solar incentives, like the federal solar tax credit,*10 energy credits,11 and a property tax exemption.12
Solar + Brightbox™
Add Brightbox, Sunrun’s battery storage service, to your solar installation in Houston. This can help keep your devices and appliances running during outages, cloudy days, rainy afternoons, or at night.
High demand for electricity in summer and winter, paired with unpredictable weather, has put Texas at a higher risk of blackouts—like the major impacts caused by back-to-back winter storms, Uri and Viola.13
To protect the whole grid from going down during snowstorms, The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) imposed rolling blackouts. These blackouts left millions of homes without electricity for days.14,15
Brightbox can help you back up your entire home with a Tesla Powerwall, or you can back up just the rooms you need with an LG Chem solar battery.**
When the sun is out, Brightbox can store clean, safe, and affordable backup power for later use.
Brightbox is the Houston battery storage solution that puts you in control. It can turn on during an outage and will work to recharge until the grid's restored.
Unlike generators, Brightbox doesn’t run on fossil fuels, which produce carbon monoxide (CO) that’s poisonous and dangerous for your health.16,17
Brightbox is fueled by the sun, so you can forget about the hassle of buying expensive gas and diesel. You can even monitor your Houston solar power production and storage daily with the online dashboard and mobile app.
Brightbox is more than just a solar battery in Houston. Our monthly lease and prepaid plans include 24/7 proactive monitoring and maintenance to ensure your system runs smoothly.
It’s Time to Bring More Clean Energy to Texas
Texas is the highest producer of carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions in the nation.18
We take pride in helping families like yours create and store their own clean energy in Houston, Texas. This way, you can reduce your dependence on toxic, expensive, and dangerous fossil fuels while protecting your home during planned and unexpected blackouts.
Want to find out if our solar and storage solutions are a good fit for your home’s energy needs? Use our Product Selector or request a free quote to get one-on-one service from our expert Solar Advisors. Together we can build a cleaner and more resilient energy future for all Texans that starts today.
Why Choose Sunrun in Houston?
Since 2007, hundreds of thousands of people have chosen Sunrun to gain energy independence and security. To date, our customers’ residential solar panels have generated billions of kilowatt-hours (kWh) of clean, renewable energy and kept millions of tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) from entering the atmosphere. This is equivalent to preventing billions of pounds of coal or millions of gallons of gasoline from burning.19
American families can help us create a better energy future for the whole nation, one home solar panel installation at a time. See what people say about their solar journey with Sunrun.
1. Eaton Blackout Tracker Annual Report
3. Houston, TX annual sunny days
4. Home Business Magazine — Why Houston Continues as the World’s Energy Hub: +1 Threat to Its Position
5. Houston Chronicle — More than 500 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning have now been reported in Houston
6. A deep freeze sends Texas electricity prices soaring 10,000%
7. Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) — Texas solar price drop
8. U.S. battery storage systems price drop
9. Sunrun ranked as leading residential solar-plus-storage vendor
10. Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC)
11. TXU Energy Renewable Buyback plan
12. Texas solar property tax exemption
13. Weather.com — Millions of Texans left without power due to winter storms
14. Tech Times — Texas Power Outage 2021 Update: Rolling Blackouts Leave Homes at -40°, People Stuck Using Car Heaters
15. The Texas Tribune — Texas was "seconds and minutes" away from catastrophic monthslong blackouts, officials say
16. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) generator safety facts
17. CNN — Texas carbon monoxide poisonings spike due to winter storms
18. U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) energy-related carbon dioxide emissions by state
*We recommend contacting a tax professional to accurately determine the impact of the solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) on your federal taxes.
**One Tesla Powerwall stores 13.5 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of usable electricity, which can be used to back up the home for a day. An LG Chem solar battery holds 9.8 kWh, which can be used to back up essential parts of the home from 8 to 12 hours.