PSE&G New Jersey Electric Bill Too High? Going Solar Will Give You Energy Independence
Learn How to Lower Your PSE&G Bill in New Jersey with Solar Power & Other Tips
Electric rates in New Jersey are now more than 30% higher compared to the national average.1 Luckily, solar prices continue to fall in the U.S.2, and installing a home solar system, today is one of the smartest moves you can make to control your future electric bills and get the peace of mind you deserve.
According to studies, going solar with a company like Sunrun in New Jersey can potentially save you thousands of dollars in electricity costs during the next 25 years.3* And since solar is a clean, renewable energy resource, you’ll also take a load off the environment by reducing your carbon emissions.
Before we go through the benefits of solar, let's talk about who PSE&G is, as well as the things they’re doing to combat extreme weather and to help keep communities in New Jersey in the best shape possible.
Who Is PSE&G and How Many Customers Do They Have?
For over a century, Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) has been working to deliver reliable energy to the people they serve.4 In New Jersey, PSEG operates under its subsidiary Public Service Electric & Gas Company (PSE&G), which is the oldest and largest investor-owned electric company in the State of New Jersey.
To date, PSE&G provides electricity to 2.2 million customers and natural gas to 1.8 million customers5 in the State of New Jersey from Bergen to Gloucester counties.
Not a PSEG NJ customer? Find your New Jersey electric company.
Energy Saving Tips for PSE&G Customers6
- During summer, set your air conditioner’s thermostat to 78 degrees when you’re home, and to 83 to 88 degrees when you’re out. During winter, set your thermostat to 68 degrees when you’re in, and to 55 to 65 degrees when you’re out. Or better yet, upgrade to a smart thermostat so it can adjust your cooling and heating patterns automatically depending on if you’re home or not.
- Use floor or ceiling fans for better circulation of cool air during summer and of warm air during winter.
- If you suspect your home is losing cool or warm air, a DIY home energy checkup may help you pinpoint some of the easier areas to address before reaching out to a professional. Check out this simple guide for a DIY home energy audit.
- Close your curtains and blinds during summer to keep out the sun's heat, this will help you boost your AC’s energy efficiency.
- Replace your light bulbs with LEDs. LEDs last up to 10 times longer vs. regular bulbs, and although they cost a little more, LEDs pay for themselves by saving you energy over their lifetime.
- Install motion sensors to automatically turn the lights off in rooms that aren’t in use. Motion sensors are relatively inexpensive devices and could reduce your lighting costs by up to 40%.
- Increase your energy savings by plugging your non-basic electronics into power strips and turn the strip off when you’re not using them.
- Consider upgrading your old devices and appliances to energy-efficient ENERGY STAR® models. Electronics with the ENERGY STAR® label help you save energy and lower your electric bills. Search for current ENERGY STAR rebates in NJ.
There are many ways to save on your electricity bill, yet, if you really want to take control your PSE&G bill while reducing your carbon emissions; installing a home solar system, today will benefit you, your family, and your community in New Jersey in more ways than one.
10 Reasons to Go Solar in New Jersey7
At Sunrun, we work hard to make solar affordable to more New Jerseyans day after day. Because we believe the financial and environmental benefits of solar power are so positive and noticeable that everyone should have access to this clean and wonderful resource. Need proof? Here are 10 data-backed claims:
- Solar might save you thousands of dollars on your future billing cycles.*
- Solar protects you against unpredictable electric rates in NJ for years to come.
- Solar reduces your carbon emissions, a major contributing factor to extreme weather.
- Solar is a free and renewable energy resource, unlike coal and natural gas which are fossil-based.
- Home solar systems work year-round. Yes, even on cloudy days!
- You have several options to go solar. With a solar company like Sunrun, you can lease or purchase a home solar system tailored to your unique home energy needs. And with our BrightSave™ Monthly and BrightAdvantage™ plans, you could switch to solar for as little as $0 down.
- Purchasing solar panels in New Jersey may increase your home value by up to 4%.8
- Home solar systems are designed to last 30 years or longer.9
- Solar creates thousands of good American jobs.10
- As a New Jersey solar customer, you’ll be eligible for some excellent state and federal incentives. These incentives include the country’s second-best solar power performance payments and money-saving net metering credits; along with a 30% federal solar tax credit and solid property and sale tax exemptions if you choose to become a solar owner.11
How Does PSE&G’s Net Metering Work with Your Home Solar System?
Using a net meter, PSE&G will measure the difference between the kilowatt-hours created by your home solar system and the electricity you use from the grid. This difference is called Net Energy Metering (NEM), and PSE&G uses it to calculate your solar bill.
When your solar panels generate more energy than you need, the excess will be exported back into the electric grid, and PSE&G will credit your account — at retail rate. In fact, under NEM, you could get credited for up to 100% of your home energy usage.12Learn how to read your PSE&G NJ NEM bill.
PSE&G’s Environmental Policy and Initiatives
PSEG Corporate’s (PSE&G NJ, PSEG Long Island, and PSEG Power LLC) community role remains vital. That’s why they’re hyper-focused on sustainable and social initiatives which bring environmental, safety, and financial benefits for current and future generations in New Jersey and New York.13
- PSEG is reducing their carbon emissions by developing and using renewable and zero and low-carbon energy resources, like solar and wind14 — this has positioned PSEG as a national leader in producing carbon-free energy.15 In addition, PSE&G NJ has set a goal to eliminate 13 million additional tons of carbon emissions by 2030.16
- Since 1994, PSEG has restored, enhanced, and preserved more than 20,000 acres of salt marsh and adjacent uplands to vital, healthy habitats for fish and wildlife of the Delaware Estuary in both New Jersey and Delaware.17
- PSE&G continuously inspects and carefully prunes New Jersey's trees to maintain their health and beauty while also working to prevent future outages. PSE&G’s proactive tree-trimming program is one of the main reasons they’ve been named one of the most-reliable electric companies in the region.18
- PSE&G offers New Jersey residents free informational material to plan ahead for severe weather and how to get back to normal life after the event clears.19Learn tips to take action before, during and after a storm.
- Through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), the New Jersey Universal Service Fund (USF), and the New Jersey Lifeline — PSE&G offers payment assistance for heating and cooling bills to low-income customers, disabled adults, and senior citizens. Click here to learn more about PSE&G’s payment assistance programs.
- PSE&G offers attractive rebates for customers who purchase qualified high-efficiency heating systems, hot water heaters, and central air conditioning systems, as well as ENERGY STAR®-certified products, like refrigerators, dryers, and boilers. View list of available rebates for PSE&G customers.
- Learn the details about PSEG Corporate’s sustainable initiatives.
The Time To Go Solar is Now
Sunrun is the nation’s largest residential solar and battery storage company providing clean, reliable electricity to households with little to no upfront cost. We’re here for you every step of the way from design and installation to maintenance. Plus, you receive predictable pricing and energy security for 25 years or more.
If you would like to go solar, and protect yourself from rising electricity rates and potential long term outages in your area, contact Sunrun today. Get a free quote, see if you qualify.