Maui Electric Company (MECO)
Maui Electric Bill Too High? Take Control By Creating Your Own Clean Energy with Sunrun
Learn How to Lower Your Maui Electric Bill with Solar Panels & a Home Battery
Did your electric bill skyrocket — even more — after the most recent electric rate increase?1 We have news that will cheer you up. Because home solar system prices in the U.S. continue to fall2, and installing rooftop solar panels from a company like Sunrun is one of the best moves you can make to forget about rising electricity costs and get reliable backup power during outages for years to come.
According to recent data, choosing a solar plan with a home battery in Hawaii can help you control rising costs of your electric bills during the next 25 years.3* Yet, before we go through the benefits of solar, let’s talk about who Maui Electric is, as well as the things they’re doing to combat extreme weather and secure a better future for your community and the environment.
Who Is Maui Electric and How Many Customers Do They Have?
The Hawaiian Electric Industries — Hawaiian Electric Company, Maui Electric Company, and Hawaii Electric Light Company — are the largest suppliers of electricity services in the state of Hawaii. To date, they deliver power to 95% of the state's residents on the islands of Oahu, Maui, Lanai, Molokai and Hawaii. Out of this percentage, Maui Electric provides electricity to more than 70,000 customers in Maui County (Maui, Lanai and Molokai).4
Not a Maui Electric customer? Find your HI electric company.
10 Energy-Saving Tips for Maui Electric Customers5
- Replace your regular bulbs and compact fluorescent lights with energy-efficient LEDs. LEDs offer you roughly 10 times less energy consumption compared to regular bulbs and are twice as efficient vs. compact fluorescent lights.
- Turn your thermostat down a couple of degrees. An ideal money-saving temperature is around 78 degrees when you’re home, and 85 degrees when you’re out.
- Use fans instead of your air conditioner whenever you can. By using two floor or ceiling fans to cool your home instead of your A/C for only 4 hours per day, you could save up to $345 on your electric bills each year.
- If you suspect your home has air leaks, a DIY home energy checkup can help you pinpoint some of the easier areas to address before reaching out to a professional. Check out this simple guide for a DIY home energy audit.
- Boost your energy savings by plugging your non-basic electronics into power strips and turn the strip off when you’re not using them.
- Consider washing your clothes in cold vs. hot water. Switching from a warm to cold cycle for just two laundry loads each week could save you around $70 per year.
- Air dry your dishes instead of using the heated drying setting on your dishwasher and save up to $33 each year
- Install motion sensors inside and outside your home. These are relatively inexpensive devices which could reduce your energy costs by up to 40%.
- Consider upgrading your old devices and appliances to energy-efficient ENERGY STAR® models and get up to 40%-higher energy efficiency.
- Limiting how often and how long you open your refrigerator will save you energy and protect your appliance, too. Do the same when opening your oven while cooking or baking. Besides, when your oven is closed, this will also help speed up your cooking time.
There’s no doubt all these tips are simple and relatively low-cost ways to save on your electricity bill, yet, if you truly want to boost your home energy savings and reduce your carbon emissions — while protecting yourself from power outages — installing a home solar battery system will benefit you and your community in more ways than one.
Why Go Solar in Maui?6
At Sunrun, we work hard to make solar power affordable to more Hawaiians day after day, because we believe there’s a better, cleaner and less expensive way for families to power their homes. Need proof? Here are 10 facts:
- Solar could save you thousands of dollars on your future billing cycles*
- Solar protects you against unpredictable electricity rates for years to come
- Solar reduces your carbon emissions, a major contributing factor to extreme weather events.
- Solar is a free and renewable energy resource, unlike fossil-based fuels such as coal and natural gas.
- Home solar systems work year-round. Yes, even on cloudy days!
- Solar can be stored for later use with a battery storage service like Brightbox™ to keep your devices and appliances running in the event of a power outage, or at night, for up to 10 hours.** Plus, with Brightbox, you’re able to use your power-hungry electronics without being tied to Time-of-Use rate schedules in order to save money.
- Buying solar panels in Hawaii may increase your property value from 3% to 4%7
- Home solar systems are designed to last 30 years or longer8
- Solar creates thousands of good American jobs9
- As a Hawaii solar customer, you’ll be eligible for attractive solar incentives. Like the nation’s best solar power tax credits, along with a property tax cut and an excellent 30% federal tax credit if you choose to purchase your home solar system.10
How Does Maui Electric Calculate Your Solar Bill?
Each month, Maui Electric will measure the difference between the kilowatt-hours your panels generate and the electricity you consume from the grid. And, if your system happens to produce more energy than you need, depending on the customer renewable program you’re enrolled in, Maui Electric could issue you a bill credit for the excess energy you exported back to the grid. View the full list of Maui Electric’s customer renewable programs.
The Hawaiian Electric Industries Commitment to Your Community and the Environment
Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc and its subsidiaries, Maui Electric Company, and Hawaii Electric Light Company have long recognized how important environmental and energy conservation are. That’s why they’re actively engaged in projects created to preserve and protect Hawaii’s unique habitats.
Here are some of the actions the Hawaiian Electric Industries are taking to ensure your community and the environment stay cleaner, healthier and safer:
- Committing to Hawaii’s Clean Energy Initiative to reach the state’s 100%-clean-energy goal by 204511
- Offering customers free informational material to help them manage their electricity usage; which is available online, inside Hawaiian Electric Industries customer service locations, and at various community events and venues.12
- Boosting the use of electric vehicles in Hawaii by installing fast chargers across Oahu, Maui County, and Hawaii Island; and by also offering customers special electric vehicle rates so they can charge their EVs at a lower price.13Click here to see if an EV is right for you.
- Maui Electric is developing two new integrated substations, which will provide the capability to integrate more renewable energy resources to the grid.14
- Learn the details about the Hawaiian Electric Industries green and sustainable initiatives.
The Time To Go Solar is Now
Sunrun is the nation’s largest residential solar and battery storage company providing clean, reliable electricity to households with little to no upfront cost. We’re here for you every step of the way from design and installation to maintenance. Plus, you receive predictable pricing and energy security for 25 years or more.
If you would like to go solar, and protect yourself from rising electricity rates and potential long-term outages in your area, contact Sunrun today. Get a free quote and see if you qualify.